Friday, January 8, 2010

A Day to Remember

We celebrate the day of our birth annually - and we can never deny it. We are getting a year older every year. Though the thought of being an old man one day frightens me when I was just a kid. And it still frightens me to know that I'm halfway there.

At the age of 10, grown ups who's 25 years old and above I considered old people. When I reached the age of 18, I considered grownups to be around 35 years old and above.

And now that I have reached my 29th birthday, I considered people around 50 and above to be old people.

But I realized that one day I too will be 35, 40 and hopefully 50 years old, in which will be considered old. But who then will I considered old when the average lifespan of a human being is just around 60 - 80 years old.

When I was a kid, I did ask a whole lot of questions to people around me and most of the time to myself. Some were answered vaguely, some were clear but most of the time I got no answer.

Inquiries started to pile up in my mind as to why we really have to grow old, when we can enjoy the fruits while young. The idea of getting old, wrinkled face and slow motion activity, really frightens me as a kid.

However as time passed by, I realized that wisdom and knowledge has to be earned. And through life's experiences will you only understand things in a much more clearer perspective. You have to grow old to experience these things.

In the Book of Ecclesiastes, Solomon expressed his ideas about living life here on earth. For him it was "utterly meaningless".

Utterly meaningless?! - So then why do we have to grow old? And growing old in wisdom and in truth?

Then through wisdom, a realization materialized.

For the same reason that GOD wants us to experience and enjoy life here on earth as gift from heaven. GOD loves us so much that HE provided us with our needs. GOD wants us to grow in spirit, wisdom and in truth so we'll be able to sing our praises to HIM. Only then we will understand.

Instead of complaining for additional wrinkles and soggy arms, be grateful. Every birthday is a gift from GOD.

For I am grateful that GOD has extended my life here on earth to enjoy the fruits of my labor. I am grateful that GOD had provided me incomparable blessings, for me and my household. I am grateful that GOD is still the same GOD yesterday, today and tomorrow.

A GOD justice yet full of compassion, full or mercy, full of love. I really might not be able to express who really GOD is in each of our lives, for the reason that understanding and searching GOD is a personal approach that each must take.

I am still on my journey in understanding GOD in my life. And so on this day, September 11, 2009 - my 29th Birthday, despite all the sickness, heartaches, pains, sorrows and struggles, I humbled down myself to the Lord, acknowledging, praising, worshiping and thanking HIM for everything that happened to me.

These all for the glory of GOD. Amen.

0 comments: